Sunday, March 13, 2011

Book Review: Desires of The Dead (The Body Finder #2) by Kimberely Derting

Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder #2) by Kimberly Derting

Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins (February15, 2011)
Language: Englush
ISBN-10: 9780061779848
ISBN-13: 978-0061779848
Source: Purchased for Books-A-Million
Cover: Again, this cover is very nice. I love the flower (it echoes the first one so nicely) and the bright color against black really grabs my attention. I really like how both novels look together!
First Sentence: "Violet leaned forward on her hands and knees over the frozen landscape."

The Mini-Review: Violet and Jay are back and better than ever with new and old friends, life-altering decisions and a brand new type of danger! This is a sequel not to be missed.

Book Summary:

The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.
Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.
As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.
Book Review:


Desires of the Dead takes all the tings I loved about The Body Finder and gives us a fresh scene and set of characters to go with it. I had a pleasure visiting again with smart and intelligent Violet and charming and loyal Jay as they continued to try and find their way through this rough time called adolesecence.


Violet and Jay's relationship was by far my favorite thing about the first novel and they don't disappoint in this sequel. One of my biggest pet peeves in YA sequels is that the couples drift apart or refuse to talk to each other. Though Violet and Jay have their problems, they stick together. Ms. Derting finds a way around the usual and it's so refreshing, I was cheering the entire time. I did find myself getting annoyed with Violet at times for beign unable to talk but she was like that in the first novel so I expected it.


Ms. Derting talked about wanting to expand Violet's world and tried to make the plot reflect that. In this endeavor, I feel she truly succeed. The range of new characters she added really helped Violet to push out of her small box and begin to realize her true potential. I'm very interested to see where Ms. Derting takes Violet and Rhett.


Sticking with the same third person point of view intersparsed with a few chapters from the possible killer, Ms. Derting creates the same magic as the first novel. Though different, it still feels like home and I was so happy to follow Violet and Jay further into their lives together. Violet's ability is just as fascinating the second time around and serious decision have to made on an entirely differet level. If you loved The Body Finder, you're bound to find Desires of the Dead just asirresistible. I know I did!


Rating:







Have you read this novel? What did you think of it?

3 comments:

  1. I definitely liked this one a lot, though probably not QUITE as much as 'The Body Finder'. I didn't think it was quite as creepy, and the issues Violet/Jay had really bugged me, actually, because I totally adore them, and I thought Violet was being a bit stupid about everything. Don't get me wrong, I did really like it, though. Thanks for the review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read book one, but I'm so glad to hear you really enjoyed book two! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen