Saturday, July 16, 2011

Book Review: Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Supernaturally by Kiersten White


Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen (July 26, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061985864
ISBN-13: 978-0061985867
Source: Received from publisher in exchange for a honest review
Cover: I am in love with this cover. The last one was nice and I'm glad they used the same model for Evie but I love this cover because of the color. That wine red and the orange glow behind her is a perfect blend.
First Sentence: "Oh bleep. I was going to die."


Mini-ReviewEvie and her gang are back... effortlessly treading the line between normal and paranormal with humor and optimism.


Book Summary:

A lot has changed in the six months since Evie escaped from the International Paranormal Containment Agency with her shape-shifter boyfriend, Lend. She finally has the blissfully normal life she’s always dreamed of, including: 



1) A real live high school 
2) A perfectly ordinary after-school job 
3) Her very own locker (and by the way, rusted metal is every bit as awesome as she imagined) 
But Evie’s not-so-normal past keeps creeping up on her...and things get pretty complicated when you factor in: 
1) A centuries-old, seriously decaying vampire stalker 
2) A crazy faerie ex-boyfriend who is the perpetual bearer of really bad news 
3) A major battle brewing between the faerie courts where the prize in question happens to be...Evie herself. 
So much for normal.
Book Review: 


Supernaturally is an excellent contiunuation of Paranormalcy. While Paranormalcy was about Evie trying to become normal, Supernaturally is about Evie's struggle to come to terms with what normalcy really means. The plot is gripping, the mystery solid, Evie's just as endearing as the first and has kept the lessons she learned from the previous novel and the introduction of several new characters makes for a fascinating and fast pace read.

Evie's got the life she's always dreamed of but she's having trouble keeping up with it. She's never been into the actual studying part in school but in order to keep up with Lend, she needs to get good enough grades to get into his college. But on top of that, she has to learn to be normal even though all she's ever known is the paranormal. I liked that Evie's wasn't as naive in this one. She remembered the lessons she learned in the last novel and expounded on those. She was just as funny as the first and kept her kick-ass nature. She did keep some things from Lend that annoyed me but I understood her reasoning and was happy that Ms. White chose to make them fight like a real couple without breaking up. They did something most characters refuse to do in the second novel, they actually talked about things. It was refreshing and wonderful.

I tend to get a little annoyed with characters who get what they want and then complain about it the whole time. I liked that this plot was only part like that. Evie still liked parts of being normal but she missed being part of a team and I could definitely understand that. I missed her life at IPCA too. The mystery aspect was really good in this story. I didn't know who was behind all the attacks for quite a while and after it was revealed, I was pleasantly surprised.

The new characters blended with the old add a freshness to the novel. I loved Jack. I thought his character was a really interesting addition because he was very Evie at the beginning of the first novel. Cocky, confident and a lot mischievous but he could do something pretty incredible so the IPCA was willing to put up with him. Also, I was glad to see Evie and Reth's relationship expounded upon. Even if she isn't wild about the guy, I'm glad we're getting some answers. There is a vamp that is introduced that only hunts other monsters. He was a great plot device as he was a plausible way for Evie to go and served as a great medium.

Supernaturally was one of those sequels that was just as good as the first novel without falling into the same cliches as others out there. Evie stays true to her character, the old and new characters are all fresh and have problems of their own and it's the same funny and light writing as the first. It was a pleasure continuing on Evie's journey and I loved every second of the ride!

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I still haven't read Paranormalcy!! I know... I suck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suck too! I still haven't had a chance to get to it, but hopefully soon. Great review :)



    Book Addict

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have said it better myself. ^-^ Really great review! I enjoyed Paranormalcy last year and I think I was a bit afraid that Supernaturally wouldn't live up to the first book but it really did. I love the author's writing style! She makes me giggle every other page. :) Glad you enjoyed it too!


    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it! I've been hearing lukewarm thoughts on Supernaturally which makes me sad since I loved Paranormalcy. Evie's awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen