Monday, December 19, 2011

Fairytale Movies and Shows

I don't talk about my other interests on the blog very much though I did start out reviewing both books and movies. It's odd really because I love both but can't find the energy to actively chat about both. Needless to say, I really love movies and t.v. series though I try to keep the limit of shows I am watching down or I'd never have time to do anything else. One of those few shows I watch all the time is Once Upon A Time. I'm addicted to it! So I wanted to show some trailers for the two fairytale shows I watch and some upcoming fairytale movies!

T.V. Shows:

1) Once Upon A Time-

I love this show because it's got a classic storybook feel but it's also innovative, updating things and turning them on their head. It does a great job with characters and doesn't give too many character at once. It's funny guessing which fairytale character is who in the little town and I can't wait to find out what Snow White did to piss off the Evil Queen!


Actors: Ginnifer Goodwin, Jennifer Morrison, Lana Parrilla, Josh Dallas


2) Grimm-

I've fallen in love with this show because I like that they constantly mix Nick's detective work with his Grimm responsibilities and he has to choose which is more important. I also love seeing how the re-imagine fairytales and creatures to tell a similar but different story.


Actors: David Giuntoli, Russell Hornsby, Silas Weir Mitchell


3) Neverland-

This was a mini-series that just premiered on SyFy and I really wish it had been more than two episodes. It captured what Peter and his band of Lost Boys were about and gave an interesting look at how they got to Neverland. Seriously, make this a weekly series! I will watch, glued to my seat.


Actors: Rhys Ifans, Anna Friel, Charlie Rowe


Movies:


1) Jack the Giant Killer-

I really love the trailer for this one and can't wait to see what they do with it. Jack and the Beanstalk definitely isn't one of my favorite tales but I like that they used a storybook setting but are also mixing an epic battle ala Lord of the Rings in there.


Actors: Nicholas Hoult, Ewan MCGregor, Stanley Tuccis, Warwick Davis


2) Mirror, Mirror-


This looks really funny though it's hard to tell what it's really about. all I know is Julia Roberts' look hysterical and I'll see it just for that. Plus, it looks gorgeous with all the elaborate costumes and sets.


Actors: Julia Roberts, Lily Collins, Ammie Hammer, Nathan Lane


3) Snow White and the Huntsman-

Is it just me or is K-Stew trying to make up for the sometimes weak Bella she portrays because this looks like it's going to call on her to be fierce. I've always liked her but a lot of people around me have lost faith. This Snow White has an epic fantasy feel a lot like Lord of the Rings. I can't wait to be swept away!


Actors: Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth


4) The Raven-

I love Edgar Allen Poe. He's always fascinated me ever since my teacher turned off the lights in sixth grade, made us lay our heads on our desk and listen to that creepy voice reading A Telltale Heart. So I love that they are making Poe a hero in this story and are using his works to inspire murders.


Actors: John Cusack, Luke Evans, Alice Eve


Other movies without trailers yet:


1) Arabian Nights (2014)- A young commander joins forces with Sinbad, Aladdin, and his genie to rescue Scheherazade and her kingdom from dark powers.


Actors: Liam Hemsworth, Dwayne Johnson (rumored)


2) Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (2012)- 15 years after their traumatic gingerbread-house incident, siblings Hansel and Gretel have become a formidable team of bounty hunters who track and kill witches all over the world.


Actors: Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Peter Stormare


3) Maleficent (2013)-  Nothing on this one yet accept that it is following Maleficent, the villain of Sleeping Beauty, through her story.


4) Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013)- This is a prequel to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900) by L. Frank Baum, told from the point of view of the Wizard. It tells how the Wizard arrived in Oz and how he became the ruler.


Actors: Mila Kunis, James Franco, Michelle Williams


5) Peter Pan in Scarlet (2012)- The continuation of J.M. Barrie's "Peter Pan," where a grown-up Wendy dreams that Neverland is in trouble and recruits her brothers and the Lost Boys to go back there and save the day.


6) The Piper (2013)- A bullied high school student unintentionally channels the spirit of the mysterious Pied Piper only to realize the terrifying consequences of his actions are well beyond his control.


7) Sleeping Beauty (2013)- A contemporary update on the fairy tale, where the fabled princess explores her dreamworld while trying to find a way out of it.


Actors: Hailee Steinfeld


There are a lot more coming, including my favorite Beauty and the Beast (with Emma Watson attached!), but these are the ones with information and some actors tied to them. 


What's your favorite fairytale? Which one do you like from above?

15 comments:

  1. My favorite fairy tale is Beauty and the Beast! When I was a little girl I watched it all the time and even cried when they tried hurting the Beast. lol But now I still love the epic love story it created.
    (You missed Beastly btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me? I'm dying to see the Snow White one. It looks excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fairytales! One of my new favorite shows is Once Upon a Time! I didn't even know some of these movies were coming. I am so excited!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like both Grimm and Once Upon a Time. I like Grimm's gritty detective story mixed in with supernatural creatures.
    With Once Upon a Time I like the retelling of fairy tales and getting to know the different character's and their back stories.
    As far as movies I want to see Snow White and the Huntsman and the Raven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO many cool fairytale movies coming out soon! I can't wait. And I absolutely LOVE Once Upon a Time! One of my favourite shows at the moment, I look forward to it every week :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I write about TV for a few blogs and I'm on twitter chatting about the shows, too. Once Upon a Time seems to have a strong following - people love it! I'm a little on the fence about it; I appreciate that it's different and I'm glad it's out there and being watched, but I tend to like the real life meshed with fairy tale a lot more than the flashback scenes to actual fairy tale stuff. I hope it keeps going strong though.

    I just saw a tease for the Hansel & Gretel movie in Entertainment Weekly; it looks promising (I like Jeremy Renner). Some of these others you linked I haven't heard of - it's definitely a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all look so good! I've never heard of 'Once Upon A Time' I'll have to see if I can get episodes in the UK. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see Snow White and the Huntsman! I also want to see Mirror, Mirror, but will probably have to go alone since the boys won't enjoy that one much. lol

    Once Upon a Time and Grimm are both great shows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I hadn't heard of a few, and "The Raven" trailer looks AWESOME! I love, love, love EAP, so I will def be seeing that one! And "Beauty and the Beast" with Emma Watson?! YAYYYY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE Once Upon A Time!!! It's fast become one of my absolute favourite series on tv. I love the whole concept and I find all the scenes in the fairy tale world so fascinating. And.. um.. CHARMING! *swoon* And oh, Rumpelstiltskin... such a psycho, but I love how he brings that to his character haha.

    Really excited for Snow White and the Huntsman, the trailer looks amazing. And oh man, I haven't heard of many of the upcoming movies you mentioned, but I am SO excited now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh!! this has gotten me so excited!!! esp beauty and the beast like you said. EE!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love fairytales! I'm addicted to 'Once Upon a Time' too. I'm dying to see the next one. At first I wasn't too keen on seeing 'Snow White and the Huntsmen', but after seeing that trailer...I'm actually excited!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My boyfriend and I are hooked on both Grimm & Once Upon a Time (Mr. Gold is by far my favorite!). Such awesome, awesome shows!

    I'm pretty excited for The Raven. Poe has been a huge influence on me/my career, so I know I'll definitely be seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love this post! I'm deeply engrossed in Once Upon a Time, and can't wait for it to continue in a few weeks. I missed Never Land though, so I'll have to find somewhere to watch it.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen